Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Moonlight Shadow played at the Olympics< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 12:18

Moonlight Shadow was played during the opening ceremony of the Torino 2006 Olympic Winter Games.
Profile PM 
tanis573 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 15:28

That's awesome.  I wonder how Mike feels about this.

--------------
http://www.soundclick.com/mindbridge
Profile PM WEB 
Afgyhi Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 16:40

This was a great suprise! I was so happy! Before moonlight they played the song "just cant get enough" by depeche mode. That was really nice because im a big DM fan. And then moonlight right afterwards! That was just spooky! What are the odds for that happening!!!

--------------
Crises! Crises!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 18:33

Yes, quite nice use of MS in there. :) Also, today, during a figure skating performance, the music was Händel's Sarabande (used by Mike in "Women of Ireland")... in the "Freedom to move" Levi's ad arrangement. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 14:53

Mike IS TOP!!!

Best that's why..

Goodnight from Greece

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 09:03

Please don't tell me that people on here are turning into tubular 'train spotters'... next there'll be a news item that someone overheard somebody else whistling something that sounded like it could have been tubular bells on the bus.

Although I noticed it being played while watching the opening ceremony there were so many other well-known songs from across the last few decades that I didn't think it was especially significant.

If anyone's interested I can get my hands on some anoraks quite cheaply ;-)

Cheers,
Terry.
PS: I'm a huge fan of Mike's and wish for more exposure but the context really was just as background music to the thousands of competitors marching in and unfortunately wasn't in any way related to the spectacular show itself.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
Piusium Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 11:46

I noticed that they later on, in one of the sports (can't remember which) they played ,,Shadow on the Wall"

Piusium
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 12:50

Quote (Ginger Daddy @ Feb. 13 2006, 09:03)
Please don't tell me that people on here are turning into tubular 'train spotters'... next there'll be a news item that someone overheard somebody else whistling something that sounded like it could have been tubular bells on the bus.

It's always news to me. I can probably count on the fingers of Frodo Baggins' right hand at the end of "Lord of the Rings" all the times I have ever heard any Oldfield anything in TV or radio (other than Hall and Oates, Exorcist music, or Killing Fields) and still probably have a finger or two left over.

This is also the first, and probably only time I'll have ever heard Moonlight Shadow played in this country in all the years since it (and including) the time it was first released.

If it was like trainspotting, it would be like a version where two or three years go by between trains.

Bellspotters....

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 19:39

I have to admit that I missed this, but I am really happy you all heard it, the next best thing!

Just lately been listening to Light a lot, but unable to get past Blackbird that often.  It is so beautiful. Becoming more so with each listen. I found myself thinking  that it would be perfect for the ice skating. There are so many spirals and circles and turns inside the music - it flows. Good for dance in general but particularly for ice skating. If there was a skating choreographer without cloth ears they could have an absolute winner there & every audience would wonder who wrote the music.

I will always love Blackbird because it is so complete. But I don't skate!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
8 replies since Feb. 11 2006, 12:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net