Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Adelaide Symphony Orchestra to play Tubular Bells< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 25 2006, 22:08

The Adelaide Symphony Orchestra will play the Orchestral Tubular Bells from Sep 14th to the 16th at the Adelaide Town Hall in Australia. Tickets are $67, book at BASS. Pianist Marc-André Hamelin and conductor Benjamin Northey will perform Brahms' 2nd concerto, Mozart's "Paris" symphony No. 31, and The Orchestral Tubular Bells Part 1 as arranged by David Bedford.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 26 2006, 10:07

For all the Adelaide fans, see
http://www.aso.com.au/Calendar/sep06.htm
(as pointed out to me by their oboist this morning)

MS11 - Virtuoso
Adelaide Town Hall

Thursday 14 September at 6.30pm
Friday 15 September at 8pm
Saturday 16 September at 6.30pm

Conductor
       Benjamin Northey
Piano
       Marc-André Hamelin
Mozart
Symphony No.31 Paris
Mike Oldfield, arr. David Bedford
       The Orchestral Tubular Bells, Part One

In a coup for the ASO, we welcome the great virtuoso Marc-André Hamelin
for his Australian debut appearance, performing Brahms’ radiant 2nd
Piano Concerto. This program also features a surprise: Mike Oldfield’s
Tubular Bells, Part One. In the orchestration made by Oldfield’s friend
David Bedford at the time of the album’s original
release, it captures all this wonderful work’s infectious and copious
tunefulness. The program opens with Mozart’s Paris Symphony, full of
light, life and virtuosic invention.

---------------------------------------------------------

Here's the deal:

If you are coming to (or you live in) Adelaide, try to make the Saturday
night concert.  I am planning to be at all three performances.

Let me know you are coming and give me some contact details.  This is
something Tubular Tracy Aplin and I have discussed in the past, now it
looks like the best possible opportunity.

I'll arrange (at least) a barbecue on the day; possibly something more.
I'll need to find a venue as our house is too small and I'd recommend
against someone else's house.  If I can get somewhere at the university,
we might make a good day of it.  Please note that such a venue is
unlikely to be free so if you are coming expect to make a modest
contribution to cover costs.

If you want to be a part of this, and especially if you have something
rare to share with us on the day, please get in contact with me.  It
would be great to meet so many of you after all this virtual contact.
The last time I did this was on Hergest Ridge, 10 years ago, and we had
a great time.

If that doesn't give you the incentive to come over, what would??

Regards
Matthew Sorell
University of Adelaide

-------------------------------------------------------------

hehehehehe..

16th September, eh..?

c'mon you guys..!!!!

a weekend in Adelaide in September for an antipodean amarok gathering!

international Amarokers welcome :D

(Adelaide has an airport, you know)

sounds like fun to me

I'll be getting tickets for Saturday 16th if I can

surely we can manage a beer in the foyer at least..

and remember folks, how beautiful Adelaide is in September, how green
the fields and vineyards, how very fine some of the worlds' finest wines
can taste when you're listening to a pivotal moment in your life
rendered by real musicians who know what they're doing    :D

will there be a dry eye when the percussionist bangs the (genteel) tripe
out of that first Tubular Bell?

will the guitarists be as faithful and convincing as Duo Sonare?

will Dave Hughes be the M.C?

will mike, visiting his brother in Queensland, pop out for a little
handful of applause?

you'll never never know if you never never go...:>>>>>>>>

just do it - book now!

wolfus

-------------------------------------------------------------
Ahhhh, spend the afternoon checking out some of those great, big, sun-drenched South Australian Reds (the wines, not the kangaroos) at the vineyards at the edge of the city, then into a Tuxedo and off to hear Tubular Bells at night - perfect!

Philip

---------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent! Got my tickets, Row H, seats 3, 4, 5 and 6 for Saturday the 16th of September. Taking my partner, my Mum and my son. Can't wait!! Can we all meet up at a nearby pub for a drink afterwards or at my place at
Belair in the beautiful Adelaide Hills for a p--s up and night of Mike.

The Ambassadors Hotel is just across the road from the Town Hall, who's up
for it?

I'm excited.

Tracy.

Tracy Aplin
TubularBelle

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: June 28 2006, 21:44

I woulkd love to go see this ,  i think it would be great to hear it played live .  :D

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 26 2006, 23:12

Have you bought your ticket yet Sentinel Gard?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 27 2006, 00:35

Just giving an update on what's going on in Adelaide on September 16 to coincide with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra's Master Series 11 concert featuring The Orchestral Tubular Bells.

I've made a booking for the Union Cinema at the University of Adelaide for the afternoon for the purpose of a mini-convention.  The precise times are to be determined but should be something like 12-5, in time for the pre-concert talk at the Adelaide Town Hall (about 15 minutes' walk away).  The venue is licensed for playing music and music videos. There is a cost involved but I believe I've secured some funding - otherwise we are looking at about $5 per person, depending on how many come along.

So what should we do?  Watch "Reflection"?  Have a quiz?  If you want to come, please let me know and suggest what we should be doing.   I need to get some idea of numbers soon.

Regards
Matthew Sorell
matthew.sorell@adelaide.edu.au

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be taking my video of the Hiawatha meeting from 1996 which is worth seeing. Anyone interested in going, please pm me or contact Matthew directly.

Cheers,
Tracy
TubularBelle

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2006, 18:08

Got about 20 people coming to the MO mini-convention now so should be a really good event. Just got to work out how to stay there till 5, then drive across town to pick up Mum, get home and into my ballgown and back to the Town Hall by 5:30 for the pre-concert talk, I can do it!!

P.S. - Did I mention also that Aled Jones is playing in town sometime soon, have seen the posters around town. He's the young lad from the Pictures in the Dark music clip and looks to be in his 30's now. I also heard that he hosts a BBC radio show and interviewed Mike a little while ago, please correct me if I am wrong there.

--------------
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2006, 19:51

Do you have a broadband connection on the venue? Maybe we could also arrange a fan meeting online, via webcam and chat...

A Worldwide Virtual Fan Meeting... Sounds awesome! :)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2006, 14:47

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 07 2006, 18:08)
Did I mention also that Aled Jones is playing in town sometime soon, have seen the posters around town. He's the young lad from the Pictures in the Dark music clip and looks to be in his 30's now. I also heard that he hosts a BBC radio show and interviewed Mike a little while ago, please correct me if I am wrong there.

Youre not wrong there, it was a good interview and took place on 28 May 2006(can be seen in the news section). I dont have it anymore but If you havent heard it Im sure someone here can help you with that.  :)
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2006, 22:49

Quote (Wayfarer @ Aug. 07 2006, 19:51)
Do you have a broadband connection on the venue? Maybe we could also arrange a fan meeting online, via webcam and chat...

A Worldwide Virtual Fan Meeting... Sounds awesome! :)

-- Wayfarer

There's wireless access in the building - I can bring my laptop.

I have about 20-30 people coming now.

Regards
Matthew

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2006, 03:46

The e-Program for the Orchestral Tubular Bells concert is now available on line at http://www.abc.net.au/classic/inperformance/#special

Tickets are selling fast for September 14-15-16.  I'll be there all 3 nights so if you can't make it on Saturday but you are coming some other night please let me know.

The arrangement, according to my contacts at the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, will stick close to Bedford's original but the opening will be more percussive than Bedford's introduction on violins and there will be some other small changes in line with modern arrangement.

And a reminder that the Oldfield mini-convention will be on as follows:

Saturday 16th September starting at 12pm until 4pm (locals will be happy to suggest a suitable watering hole after 4pm until the concert starts). The venue is the Union Cinema at the University of Adelaide. See http://www.adelaide.edu.au/campuses/maps2006/northtce.jpg for a campus map, Union Building at map reference E5, the cinema is on Level 5 in the north-east corner (approximately E6 in the map).

Food and drinks will be provided.  I am in the process of getting a license to serve alcoholic drinks.  We have a guitar amplifier (I think), DVD, VCR, MP3, CD, vinyl and tape playing facilities.  I won't be providing an old tin box.  If you have a "platter" you'd like to share please let me know.  I thought we'd watch the Montreux video for those who haven't seen it before, other suggestions are welcome (note that the venue's performance licence covers music, music videos and concert videos, but not films.  So The Killing Fields is not possible, for example).

Entry is free and all Mike fans are welcome but if we get over-run by students looking for free alcohol on the day please be ready to provide some evidence of your identification or your affinity for Mike's music (saying "I like beer and I like cheese" would probably do the job, but "Heaven's Open was Mike's best album ever!" probably won't).

The concert will be preceded by a talk at the Town Hall at 5:30.  Entry is free and you don't need a concert ticket to attend.  I'm told it will be an interesting talk.

Cheers
Matthew

--------------
Profile PM 
Australopithicine Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2006, 05:33

What *is* the pre-concert talk!?"

Thanks, cu there,

~R~
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2006, 01:47

Hello everyone

Please find attached the A3 poster for the mini-conventions on Saturday, from 12pm to 4pm.

We have a liquor licence.

We also have a small change of venue - we are now in the Little Theatre, in the southwest corner of the cloisters of the union building at the University of Adelaide.  This brings the advantages that the venue is now free (so I can spend more on food and drink), there is a bar area, and the more intimate venue is better suited to our purposes.

I will put up some signs around the university on the day.  You can park  on campus (map ref E3) for a reasonable hourly rate.

Bring your friends and interested colleagues.  If you are in Adelaide, please feel free to promote this event - but do please let me know the numbers so that I can cater accordingly.  There is no charge to you, as some funding has been sourced to cover the event.

We have a video projector, audio system, computer, video player, DVD player, tape deck and record player.  I don't have an old tin box.  If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it in to the nearest police station.  We can also plug in an electric guitar.

If you have collectibles please bring them.  If you want them stored for safe keeping afterwards, they can be kept in my office.

And don't forget to attend the pre-concert talk at 5:30pm at the Adelaide Town Hall, followed by the Virtuoso concert!

My number is 0410 432 762.  If you can help set up, please let me know.  If you get lost on campus, feel free to call me!

Regards
Matthew Sorell

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2006, 01:49

Matthew will be giving the pre concert talk re Mike Oldfield and Tubular Bells.

Will add pic of poster in the Members Photographs thread if you are interested.

Is anyone coming? Need final numbers.

SentinelGard?

Kazmac?

Tracy.

I'll be there, with Tubular Bells on.

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 12 2006, 21:29

Have a wonderful time!  :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2006, 00:40

Thanks, it's nice to get a response on here. There are going to be a few surprises and/or announcements that I'm not allowed to tell you about until after the event so watch this space, he he!

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2006, 00:42

Oh darn it, will let one secret slip, everyone who attends gets a FREE Amorok T shirt and a FREE Reflections dvd.

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 05:29

Full report of the event will be posted in General Discussion as it gets more visitors in there.

Tracy.

--------------
Profile PM 
16 replies since June 25 2006, 22:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net